Cavern 1, 2 and 3 follow the Forest series, and are found in the northwestern part of the world map. Cavern 4, 5 and 6 are found after Pyramid. Cavern 7 and 8 is found after Hell 6. All cavern levels have ceilings, as well as pockets of water. Ranged characters with a large range may encounter difficulties, since their projectiles may collide with the ceiling before reaching an enemy without a Pierce's Card. Most notably, caverns are completely dark, with the four characters, the mouse pointer, collectables, and character projectiles being the only sources of illumination. Characters have more lighting power than the mouse pointer. A dead character is also able to emit light from the head, but with less power.
The artificial intelligence of the characters is not affected by darkness, as they instantly know the position of the nearest enemy and start to attack it, however, if players need to know the location of the enemies, they usually have to scout through the darkness with the mouse pointer. A better way is having a Priest with a large amount of range which will illuminate all enemies in range, simply due to the small, instantaneous attack.
- The first three Cavern stages are meant to give a traveling sequence to separate the Village island from the rest of the continent.
- It is questioned as to if Cavern 1, 2, and 3 go under the ocean. This is hinted via the separation between the continent and the island that the Village is on, and due to the amount of water (see underwater stage) actually inside the cave.
- The Cavern stages require a large amount of stickman dragging, due to the rough terrain.
- The Cavern series is the first in Stick Ranger to not be directly connected to each other, and in fact, the first one that consists of more than 2 different set of stages that are separated by other stages. Cavern 4, 5 and 6 have different landscapes and are separated from the other three Cavern stages. Cavern 7 and 8 further separates from the previous Cavern stages and also has a different tileset.
List of Cavern stages
There are eight stages in the Cavern series:
- An extremely rare bug can occur after beating the boss of a cavern stage. Upon going to any other stage, the tileset will disappear and the landscape will be replaced with the bosses stage. It is unknown what causes this bug, though it may have something to do with going to the shop after beating a cavern stage, leaving right when the sign appears, or using the ceiling exploit to attack from above. More images of this bug can be viewed here.